It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Formations 

Does anyone fully understand Formations? Do they fit into a Force Org chart (Detachment)? Are they separate from the Detachment? Can you only take them as Unbound?

I'd like to put together a list using the Formation in the Ork codex, it fits not fit into a CAD, but it would fit into the Ork Horde Detachment. Would that work for a tournament, or do I need to take another Detachment alongside the Formation?

Does this make sense? Anyone else confused?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 pm

I think it is just considered a detachment. Pg 117 battle-forged armies, "detachments are made up of units that conform to various requirements. For example, one common type of detachment requires the use of at least one HQ and two Troop units. . .As a reward for adhering to these requirements, each detachment grants it's own Command Benefits. "

The Primary Detachment is just whichever detachment that contains your Warlord, pg 117.

Pg 118 in bold, there is no limit to the number of detachments a battle forged army can include.

From the way I'm understanding it, they are considered detachments.

“Our Shields protect the empire as the Emperor protects us.”

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:12 am

So, by that you mean it's its own detachment? So in order to add additional units not included in the Formation, I would need to take a second detachment? The Ork Formation is two specific HQ choices, one Elite, and 7 Troops, so if I want to take some Heavy or Fast choices, I need a separate detachment to be Battle-Forged? Another HQ and two Troops minimum?

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 am

I sent you an email with everything from my data slate formation. It explains it better there.

To answer your question, yes.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 am

Reference pg 121 and 122. Also, the objective secured special rule applies to the Combined Arms Detachment. It does not apply to other formations.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am

Thats all correct,

Ive been trying to work out a green tide Formation and still be able to fill out the requirements to get a CAD too so I can field some gunz to back up the boyz. The HQ will be chosen from the green tide detachment (formation) making it my primary and allowing me to call the waaagh every turn while still giving some sneeky grots Ob Sec for back field holding while the boyz advance and lobbas drop da rainz!

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:46 pm

That shouldn't be hard at all, it's one option I was considering but currently I only have 20 grots, need one more box minimum, but then it should be doable. The only downside is, if you take for example s Big Mek with KFF, he'd can't run with your MANz because he can't Waaagh every turn. Still a fun list though.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

yeah i could still take a big mek with KFF to run with some MaNz to get som benefits but if your going to do it right wit Da Big Boss you would take him as your warlord in the CAD and lose out on the Every turn Waaagh from taking green tide this is also a thought i have had including Mad Dok (to add to the Tide Detachment (fearless) and Gaz as a LoW all slapped into the Green tide detachment and boom throw in some Dakka!
would be fun but what else?

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]